- $15 billion + profit
- More than 800 lawyers throughout the country
- the fee is freeMONTEWe only pay if we win
- America's Largest Tort Law Firm
- Protecting families since 1988
- Contact Form
- Check list
- Frequent questions
- bowel movements
- related cases
- related pages
- related neighborhoods
Minneapolis manslaughter lawyer
It is important to seek the legal advice and support of an experienced Minneapolis wrongful death lawyer if you have lost a loved one due to someone else's negligence. At Morgan & Morgan, our experienced and compassionate attorneys understand the emotional turmoil you and your loved ones may be experiencing during these difficult times.
For this reason, we can provide you with the legal guidance and support you need to fight for justice. all you need is onefree evaluation of your case with us.
Free case evaluation
Tell us about your situation so we can start fighting for you. We adapt each case to the needs of our clients.
morgan y morgan
How do I know if I have a valid wrongful death claim?
Morgan & Morgan offers free, no-obligation case evaluations for people who have lost loved ones due to the actions or inaction of another person. We will evaluate the details of your loved one's death and determine if you have a valid claim. Generally, you may have a valid case if the death of your loved one was due to the negligence, recklessness, or intentional actions of another person.
What is the role of a wrongful death attorney in the legal process?
Our wrongful death lawyers understand how terrible it is after the unfortunate and preventable death of a loved one. When you contact us for a free case evaluation and we determine that you have a valid case against the other party, we will:
- Investigate the circumstances of your loved one's death. This process includes, but is not limited to, gathering evidence, speaking with witnesses, and consulting with experts in various fields.
- Determine the party or parties responsible for the death of your loved one.
- Navigate the complex legal system on your behalf, including, but not limited to, creating a legal strategy for filing your claim, filing a wrongful death claim, and negotiating with insurance companies.
- Help you recover compensation for the damages you or your loved one suffered as a result of a wrongful death.
- Represent you in court if the other party refuses to settle.
- Provide peace of mind knowing that you have a legal team with your best interests in mind.
What damages can be recovered in a wrongful death lawsuit?
It depends on the specific circumstances of the case. That being said, authors can recover the following damages:
Common economic damages from wrongful death lawsuits include the following:(Video) Minneapolis Wrongful Death Attorney Hennepin County Fatal Accident Lawyer
- Funeral expenses.
- Loss of wages or future earning capacity of the deceased.
- Financial support or benefits that the deceased would have provided to his family if he were still alive.
Non-economic damages are intangible losses and are generally more difficult to measure. They include, but are not limited to the following:
- Pain and suffering of surviving family members
- loss of office
- mental anguish
- loss of consortium
While not guaranteed, punitive damages are intended to punish the person or entity responsible for the death. These damages can also prevent others from behaving in a similar way. However, it is important to note that they only apply in cases where death occurred due to extreme negligence.
How does a lawyer determine the amount of a wrongful death claim?
The amount of a wrongful death claim generally depends on factors such as:
- The damages suffered (these can be economic or non-economic, as mentioned above)
- The strength of the evidence against the other party
- The unique circumstance of the case, such as whether the victim was partially responsible for the death.
What if the deceased contributed to their own death?
Minneapolis follows a legal principle called comparative negligence. Under this law, perpetrators can still recover damages even if they were partially at fault for their own injuries, as long as their percentage of fault is less than 50%.
In the case of wrongful death, the amount of compensation that the surviving family members can receive will be reduced by the percentage of guilt of the deceased.
Here is an example of such a situation.
Suppose the deceased is 30% to blame for his own death. In that case, the amount of compensation that the family can recover would be reduced by 30%, which means that they can only receive 70% of the initial amount. On the other hand, if the decedent was 60% at fault for her death, her survivors will not recover any damages because their percentage at fault exceeds the 50% bar.
How much does it cost to hire a Morgan & Morgan wrongful death attorney?
Our wrongful death attorneys work on a contingency fee basis; they only get paid if they win the case. The contingency fee can range from 33% to 40% of the total settlement amount. Here is a detailed guide on why thecontingency fee system works bestfor such cases.
How do I choose the right wrongful death lawyer?
Here are some important tips to guide you in choosing the right wrongful death attorney:
Find a lawyer withExperience handling wrongful death cases. The more experienced they are, the greater the chances of obtaining a favorable result. For example,fight for the rights of the wounded since 1988.
Your searchhit recordin handling wrongful death cases. You have a better chance of obtaining favorable results when you hire an attorney or firm with a proven track record of winnings. Morgan & Morgan, for example, wonmore than $15 billion(and counting) for customers.
check their reputationin the legal community and beyond. To put things in perspective, you'll feel more comfortable working with Morgan & Morgan because we are the largest casualty firm in the United States.
Involuntary manslaughter cases are complex because they often involve massive settlements for the injured. For this reason, you need an attorney withaccess to powerful resourcesto proceed with the claim. That's where Morgan & Morgan comes in; we have onearmy of over 800 injury lawyersspecializing in different practice areas, including wrongful death cases.
What are the chances of winning a wrongful death lawsuit?
The odds of winning a wrongful death lawsuit depend on many different factors. In the end, it all comes down to the following:
- The amount of evidence available against the other party.
- Attorney's skill and experience.
- The timing of the wrongful death claim or lawsuit (discussed below)
- The specific circumstances of the case.
What is the statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death lawsuit?(Video) Minneapolis Personal Injury Lawyer Bloomington Wrongful Death Attorney Minnesota
The statesstatue of limitationsThe time to file a wrongful death claim is generally three years from the date of death. Unfortunately, if you do not file your claim within three years of your loved one's death, you may lose your right to seek compensation.
Keep in mind that these laws are even stricter for medical malpractice cases. For example, you cannot file a wrongful death claim if three years have passed since the death of your loved one.
How long does it take to settle a wrongful death lawsuit?
Wrongful death claims can take anywhere from several months to years to resolve. It all depends on the unique circumstances of the case and whether the other party is willing to cooperate with your legal team. That being said, hiring a powerful legal team to represent you can increase your chances of resolving the case more quickly.
This is because the defendant will not want to take on a powerful firm like Morgan & Morgan, especially in court, especially given our strong record of winning these cases. Also, the longer the case drags on, the more expensive it becomes. As a result, most defendants would rather settle out of court than rack up more legal fees.
What should I expect during the legal process of a wrongful death lawsuit?
Here is an overview of a standard wrongful death claim process.
- The first step isConsult a wrongful death attorneyabout your case The lawyer will evaluate your case and determine if you have legal grounds to sue.
- If you have a valid claim and they agree to take your case, the attorney will investigate the case thoroughly. This may involve collecting medical records, witness statements, and other documents to support your claim.
- They will also determine the party or parties responsible for the death of your loved one.
- After collecting enough evidence to proceed with a wrongful death claim, they will file a claim or lawsuit against the responsible parties on your behalf.
- The case will then go through a discovery process where both parties will exchange information and evidence about the case.
- Then negotiations will begin to get it right. But if they can't reach an agreement, the case will go to trial, where a judge or jury will hear the evidence and make a decision.
- If either party is not satisfied with the outcome of the trial, they can appeal the decision.
How will my lawyer prove that someone else was responsible for the death?
For wrongful death, the attorney will need evidence such as witness statements, medical records, police reports, and other relevant documents. They may also ask expert witnesses to testify about various aspects of the case.
For example, they may hire a specialist doctor to explain how the negligence of a particular healthcare professional caused the death of your loved one. Alternatively, an accident reconstruction specialist can demonstrate how a car accident occurred.
In some cases, the attorney may also hire a private investigator to gather additional evidence or interview witnesses with knowledge of the case.
Can a wrongful death lawsuit be filed for the death of an unborn child?
If you can. In fact, Minnesota was one of the first states to create laws to protect unborn children and pregnant women from such neglect. This claim is known as a "wrongful stillbirth" claim.
Here's what you need to know:
Minnesota Statute 573.02, Subdivision 1has the following provisions for wrongful death claims involving an unborn child:
- You can sue negligent professionals, including doctors, surgeons, dentists, hospitals, and nursing homes, for damages in wrongful death cases.
- As mentioned, you must start the process within three years of the child's death.
- To hold a person or business liable for the death of an unborn child, you (or your legal team) must prove that the death was caused by a wrongful act, negligence, or omission.
Can I still file a wrongful death claim if the person responsible for the death is found not guilty of a crime?
The standards of proof required in criminal and civil cases differ. For example, in a criminal case, the prosecutor must prove the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. As a result, such a case carries a high burden of proof.
On the other hand, civil cases have a lower burden of proof. Specifically, the plaintiff must prove their case by a preponderance of the evidence, which means that the defendant is more likely to be responsible for the death. So, even if the responsible party was found not guilty of a crime, he can still prove her liability in a civil wrongful death action.(Video) Wrongful Death Law Firm Attorney Located in Minneapolis, Minnesota Serving Nationwide
How long does it take to receive compensation in a wrongful death case?
Several months to years. Keep in mind that cases that go to trial take even longer to resolve than those that are decided out of court.
For this reason, your attorney will likely want to settle out of court to obtain a faster and better result that is in your best interests. However, if the other party refuses to settle, going to court may be the only option to hold them accountable.
It is also worth mentioning that even after a settlement or jury verdict, there may be additional steps to take before you can receive compensation. For example, the other party can appeal the decision, further delaying the process.
Contact a Minneapolis wrongful death attorney
Wrongful death cases are complicated and time sensitive. The longer you wait to act, the harder it will be to counterattack. Don't miss out on the opportunity to fight for your loved one whose death could have been prevented. Contact us today for afree case evaluation.
- Minneapolis manslaughter lawyer
Serving the following neighborhoods and more
- Arden Hills (55112)
- Blaine (55449)
- Bloomington (55420)
- Brooklyn Park (55443)
- Circular pines (55014)
- Colombian Heights (55421)
- Coon Rapids (55433)
- Cristal (55427)
- Falcon Heights (55108)
- Fridley (55432)
- Golden Valley (55422)
- Hopkins (55345)
- Lauderdale (55113)
- Lexington (55014)
- Little Canada (55117)
- Maple Grove (55311)
- Minneapolis (55415)
- Minnetonka Mills (55305)
- Vista dos Montes (55112)
- New Hope (55428)
- Northern Oaks (55127)
- Very (55369)
- Richfield (55423)
- Robbinsdale (55422)
- Roseville (55113)
- Saint Anthony (55418)
- San Luis Park (55416)
- Sao Paulo (55102)
- View of the coast (55126)
- Spring Lake Park (55432)
- Alturas de Vadnais (55127)
- Wayzatá (55391)
- West Coon Rapids (55316)
- Sao Paulo West (55118)
last update inApril 1, 2023